Blessed with perfect landscapes from rugged mountains, cascading waterfalls to golden beaches, dense rainforests, Australia has something for everyone. The beauty of this magical paradise is sure to swathe your senses. The Great Barrier Reef in Queensland is a breathtaking wonderland that allows you to dive and snorkel amid the serene beauty of dazzling corals, turquoise waters and edgy lush forests. Snowshoe trekking is a great way to explore the Snowy Mountains, and a scenic flight over the Great Ocean Road gives you the option to explore the 12 Apostles’ beauty from a bird’s eye view.
Australia still has so much to allure every traveller. But planning might seem a bit overwhelming, especially the visa process. Fret not! Australian tourist visas are at your fingertips and here’s the article for you.
Do Indians require a Tourist Visa for Australia?
Unless you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, you will require a valid Australian Tourist Visa to enter the country. Indians must apply for a tourist visa before leaving home. You can apply for your Visa at your nearest Australian embassy, or on the Australian ‘Departments of Home Affairs’ website.
It is always recommended to apply for your Visa well in advance and plan your trip accordingly.
Note: Australia is not a visa on arrival destination.
What are the types of Australian Visas for Indians?
There is a wide range of visa categories that Australia offers and it is solely based on the purpose of the visit.
- Visitor Visa
- Transit Visa
- Medical Treatment Visa
- Student Visa
- Special Program
Visitor Visa could be a business or tourist visa is applicable for individuals who want to visit Australia for a short period. It is issued for three months, two months or a maximum of 1 year.
How to apply for an Australian Tourist Visa?
The application process is very simple and systematic. There are different categories of visas. Australian tourist visas come under the type of the (Subclass 600) visitor visa that is a short-term permit granted for tourism. You need not visit the embassy with a hard copy of the documents.
Are you wondering how? It is entirely an E-Visa which means the whole procedure is online.
- Download the Australia ETA application from the government website of Australia
- Fill the form with correct information
- Attach the required documents
- Apply by paying the visa fees
- You will receive the Australia ETA visa within 2-3 working days
Since Australia Visa is an E-Visa, you will receive an email with your visa details that will be directly linked to your passport number.
What are the documents required for Australian Visa?
Submitting accurate details of your documents is a mandatory requirement. In case of any fake documents or inaccurate information, it will lead to your visa rejection.
You can check the checklist of required documents below.
- Passport with 6 Months Validity from date of vacation
- Scanned copy of front, back and all stamped pages of your Passport
- Visa Application Form 956 signed in Column No.24
- Passport size photographs – 60 – 80% coverage, white background without any border (Size : 35mm X 45 mm)
- Covering Letter mentioning the name, passport number, purpose and duration of visit in brief
- Pan Card or Aadhar Card copy
- Hotel bookings or accommodation covering the duration of stay
- Financial statements
- Flight vouchers
In case of staying with relative :
- Letter of invitation from the relative
- Proof of legal status
- Residence Proof
- Employment Proof
Incase of honeymoon vacation :
- Scanned copy of wedding invitation
- Five engagement pictures
- NOC from both parents if not yet married
- Marriage certificate or an affidavit from a lawyer if married
Incase of Employed ( Financial documents ) :
- Personal ITRs for the past three years
- Payslips for the last three months
- Personal bank statements for the last six months
- NOC from Company
- Copy of appointment letter
- Credit card copy/ Traveller’s cheque / Foreign exchange endorsement ( Additional )
In the case of Self-employed ( Financial documents ) :
- Personal and company ITRS for the past three years
- Company registration certificate/ Certificate of Incorporation
- Brief company profile
- Bank statements for the last six months, the statement should provide enough information on the sustained flow of funds, and evidence of sufficient funds
- Import or Export license ( if applicable)
Documents for applicants above 75 years of age :
- Medical ( Travel Insurance ) of 12 months
- An ‘Aged Visitor Health Check’ completed by DIAC appointed panel doctor
What is the processing period for an Australian Tourist Visa?
The processing time for Australian Tourist Visa ranges from 48 hours to more than 33 days. It depends on the accuracy of the supporting documents you have submitted. It might also get delayed in the peak season.
How much does it cost?
The cost is around 140 AUD per applicant, and it changes regularly based on the norms set by the Australian government.
What is the validity of an Australia Tourist Visa?
Generally, it is valid for three months, and it can be extended up to 12 months in case of any special circumstances. But you have to apply for a new visa to extend your stay.
Is it mandatory to apply for Travel Insurance?
It isn’t a mandatory document for your visa application submission. It will be very beneficial in terms of any theft, loss of Passport and medical emergencies especially. The cost of medical expenses is expensive if you don’t have Travel Insurance in Australia.
Can you apply for Australian Tourist Visa offline?
Yes, you can visit one of the closest VFS centres, and they all operate from 9 am to 5 pm on weekdays.
Special Pointers to note:
- Supporting documents should be scanned in high resolution, and in colour
- The file size of each scanned document should not exceed 5 MB
- No notarization is required for any document including Passport
- The photograph should not be more than three months old and not used in any visa of the previous visas
Now, that all your questions are answered, it is time to plan and fly. With an elite team of visa experts for Australia, we’ll make your visa processing and trip planning to Australia a hassle-free one!