Being one of the most visited places in Rajasthan, the Chittorgarh Fort is there on the hilltop. Also known as Chittor fort, this is one of the largest fort complexes there in India. This is one of the best forts in Rajasthan and it is a place that amuses and astounds many historians till now. All the credit goes to the beautiful wall carvings and the most spectacular historical architecture of all time. This fort is supposedly known to be the capital of Mewar. It is also a UNESCO world heritage site. This giant structure stands tall which depicts a very strong history attached to it. The fort is also scenic as it stretches over the Aravalli ranges outlining the mountains. Rajasthan is a great place with many ancient monuments and the Chittorgarh Fort is the pinnacle to it. Let us look deeper into this architectural brilliance.
There are some mind-boggling facts about this marvellous piece of architecture, the Chittorgarh fort. So here are some facts that you would find interesting to know.
- The Ram pol, Padal pol, Lakshman pol, Jolra pol, Ganesh pol, Hanuman pol and Bhairon pol are the 7 gates in this Fort. Cross all these gates to enter through the main entrance Surya pol.
- Out of all the forts seen in India, the Chittorgarh Fort is the largest fort in the country as it covers more than 2 km of length.
- The fort was constructed by the Mauryan during the 7th century AD and Chitrangada Mori was the ruler at that time. So the fort was named after him.
- This is a fort that once boasted 88 different water bodies. Filled by either natural catchment or rainfall, these water bodies were full almost every time, Now only 22 water bodies are remaining.
- This architectural marvel consists of 65 historic structures. In these, there are 4 palace complexes, 4 memorials, 19 temples and 20 functional water bodies
The Speciality of the Chittorgarh Fort
If you are a movie buff and a great fan of Bollywood movies, then you would certainly love the Deepika Padukone starred Padmavat, about Rani Padmavati. This fort was where once Rani Padmavati lived. For those who do not know about her, She is a queen of utmost elegance and beauty. This princess from Sri Lanka moved to Chittoor after getting married to the Rajput ruler Rawal Rattan Singh. She was the women who sacrificed herself in fire after the death of her husband so that she would not be trapped by the Sultan of Delhi Alauddin Khilji.
This fort is a reminiscence of that. This was the story of the strong and elegant Rani Padmavati. The Padmavati palace in this has intricate carvings, strong architecture and serene views of nature surrounding the palace. This story of the Queen developed a major curiosity for many of the historians around the globe to come to visit this masterpiece.
How to reach
This beautiful fort is the icon of the city. You can reach the palace by car from the Chittorgarh railway station as it is just 7.5km away. You can always hire a cab or a rickshaw to reach the place.
Ths fort is an architectural brilliance of ancient Rajasthan. You have got to visit the fort to experience the historic vibes of it. Add it to your itinerary for your Rajasthan holiday packages. Visit the Pickyourtrail website to know more about international travel and updates on domestic travel.