Most adults are complicated and so are their likings, but kids find joy in simple things in life. I’m not sure if people will admit to this but, there comes a point in everyone’s life when they wish to go back to the carefree days of childhood. Although it may seem practically impossible, there are a few blissful things in the world that are loved by kids and adults alike, like eating an ice-cream, getting drenched in the rain or enjoying a day at an amusement park.
Talking of amusement parks, there are a few amusement parks in the world which are built over a large area and are equipped with the state of the art design and architecture. The Disneyland in the USA and Universal Studios in Singapore are the most popular among them. In terms of distance from India and affordability, Singapore is always a better choice. The Universal Studios in Singapore is a theme park which is located within the Resort World Sentosa on Sentosa Island. It is the first Universal Studio theme park in Southeast Asia. The park has several rides, theme zones, restaurants, shopping centres and much more. It is a must visit place for all kids and adults going to Singapore on a vacation.
Everything you need to know about visiting the Universal Studios Singapore in 2020
Inside the park, there are 24 attractions spread across 7 themed-zones, more than 30 restaurants & food stalls and around 20 retail stores. You can cover selected parts of the Universal Studio in a day but if you want to explore the entire park, a 2 days tour is highly recommended.
How to reach?
Resorts World Sentosa is only 10 minutes away from Singapore’s Central Business District. You can reach the Universal Studios at Resorts World Sentosa via buses, MRT rail system, taxis, and cars. To head into the Resort, use Sentosa Express, RWS8 Bus or walk in via the Sentosa Boardwalk. The nearest MRT is HarbourFront Station. If you’re coming by taxi, stop at the Casino, take the escalators up and you’ll be able to see the Universal Globe.
When to Go
September, October and early-november are some of the best times to visit Universal Studios
When Not to Go
While no time is bad to visit Universal Studios, it’s best to avoid weekends and national holidays as it tends to get too crowded on these days. Also, it’s best to not visit during Christmas and Thanksgiving holidays.
Universal Studios Address
8 Sentosa Gateway, Singapore 098269
Universal Studios Timings
The park is open from 10 AM to 7 PM from Sunday to Thursday and 10 AM to 10 AM On Friday and Saturday. The park operates all the 365 days of the year.
Universal Studios Ticket Prices & Packages
There are a number of ticket packages that you can avail depending on your need. Below mentioned are some of the best packages for tourists visiting the Universal Studios
- One day ticket– The ticket is valid for a full day at the park and the ticket price per adult is USD 79, per child (age 4-12), is USD 59 and per senior person (age 60 and above) is USD 41. The ticket must be used within 30 days of purchase
- Annual pass– This ticket is valid for 12 months and the ticket price per adult is USD 198, per child (age 4-12), is USD 168 and per senior person (age 60 and above) is USD 168. The ticket must be used within 30 days of purchase
- Universal Express– The ticket prices starts from SGD 30 with one time access to the express queue and is valid for one full day
- Universal Express Unlimited – The ticket prices starts from SGD 50 with unlimited access to the express queue and is valid for one full day.
*All ticket prices are inclusive of all rides, shows and attractions*
Universal Studios Travel Tips
- To avoid the queue on the day of your visit, it’s advisable to get the tickets online from the official website in advance. Even if you get the tickets online, don’t wait for the park to open. Come in at least an hour early. You’ll find plenty of selfie spots outside like the Universal Studios Globe to click photos. The crowd will be less in the morning and the probability of getting photobombed will also be low.
- Since Singapore is hot and humid most of the year, wear light and breathable clothes with comfortable shoes. Women can avoid heels and stilettos since there’s going be a lot of walking, running, climbing… don’t panic, they are just for fun! Since there are a few water rides, it’s good to carry an extra pair of top or T-shirt with you. If you are visiting in between September to February, carry an umbrella or a poncho to avoid rains.
- If you have to go out of the park in between, ensure that you get the re-entry stamp before leaving and keep your tickets handy. When you enter the park, grab a Studio Guide which will give you the program sheet for the day. You can check the schedule of the shows and the Meet-and-Greet sessions and plan your day accordingly!
- Drinking water is available at the water fountains in the park
- Wheelchairs available at the Beverly Hills Garage
- Free Wi-Fi
- Prayer room for Muslim community next to Battlestar Galactica.
- Lockers on rent
- First-aid kits and services
- Park attendants to help you click photos and find rides/restaurants/shops
Facilities for Toddlers
Parents visiting the Universal Studios with kids need not fret because the park offers a lot of facilities to keep you and your little ones happy. There are strollers available on rent at the Beverly Hills Garage. There are special parking facilities for strollers outside most of the rides and restaurants at Universal Studios.
For nursing mothers, there is a baby centre. The baby centre is equipped with a microwave, coin-operated dispensers for diapers and bed liners, and free space for older kids to play while mothers attend the younger ones. There is also a Baby Swap option at selected rides where parents can take turns one by one to try those rides where children aren’t allowed. Once one of the parents is done riding the other one can take the ride immediately without joining the queue all over again.
List of Prohibited Items
- Any form of weaponry, including but not limited to, firearms
- Explosives or flammables
- Knives or sharp objects
- Balloons (SEAA and ACW only)
- Outside food and drinks
Must-try Rides at Universal Studios
The entire Universal Studios is divided into 7 theme parks. Each of these theme parks has their own themed rides, shows, stores, and restaurants. Here’s a peek into each of the 7 theme zones:
- Hollywood Theme: Inspired by the real Hollywood Boulevard of 1970, this area boasts a dynamic design and a prominent replica of the iconic Hollywood Walk of Fame. The only attraction of this theme park is a huge theatre which is accompanied by restaurants like Starbucks and Mel’s Drive-In and a number of shops.
- New York Theme: Inspired by the modern skyline of New York City, this theme park is adorned with bright neon lights, sidewalks, and open facades. This theme park has a replica of the famous New York Library. The zone covers one ride, one show, a number of entertainment programs along with shops and popular food & beverage outlets.
- Ancient Egypt Theme: The ancient Egypt theme, as the name suggests draws its inspiration from the land of pyramids and mummies, especially focusing on the Golden Age of Egyptian Exploration. The zone is adorned with pyramid replicas, tombs, and depictions from the popular film franchise-The Mummy.
- Sci-Fi Theme: The Sci-Fi theme park will give you a peek into the future which is dominated by robots and all modern mechanisms but devoid of any human or culture. There are a number of rides in this theme park, including the world’s tallest pair of Dueling Roller Coaster which stands at a height of 140 metres along with funky shops and restaurants.
- Madagascar Theme: Inspired by the franchise of the same name, the Madagascar theme has a tropical jungle setting with four dominant characters from the movie making special appearances-Alex, Gloria, Marty, and Melman. This zone has two rides along with a retail outlet and two restaurants.
- The Lost World Theme: The Lost World theme is inspired by the movie of the same name. This theme park has two zones, the Jurassic, and the Waterworld. The Waterworld is a stadium featuring live performances and the name is based on the movie of the same name. This zone has some wacky rides and adventure activities along with cool shops and restaurants.
- Far Far Away Theme: Featuring the characters and the set from the movie Shrek, the Far Far Away zone has a number of rides, restaurants and a shop. It also features a live show and a 3-D show.
The Universal Studios hosts some of the most adventurous and craziest rides in the world. There is a height criterion for every ride in the park premises, that you need to follow. Check out the chart below to get an idea.
There are some rides that are not advisable for kids so parents should their children away from trying those. Parental guidance is always recommended even for the rides that are marked suitable for the kids.
Best Rides for Kids
- King Julien’s Beach Party-Go-Round ( Family carousel) | Far Far Away Zone
- Magic Potion Spin (Children’s Ferris Wheel) | Far Far Away Zone
- Madagascar: A Crate Adventure (Riverboat ride) | Madagascar Zone
- Treasure Hunters (Motorcar ride) | Ancient Egypt Zone
- Dino-Soarin’ in The Lost World (Seated spinning ride) | The Lost World Zone
- Sesame Street Spaghetti Space Chase (Movie special effects show) | New York Zone
Best Rides for Adults
- TRANSFORMERS The Ride (Hyper-realistic 3D thrill ride) |Sci-Fi City Zone
- Battlestar Galactica: HUMAN vs. CYLON (High-Speed turbulent roller coaster) | Sci-Fi City Zone
- Accelerator (Seated spinning ride) | Sci-Fi City Zone
- Revenge of the Mummy (High-speed roller coaster) | Ancient Egypt Zone
- Canopy Flyer (Aerial ride) | The Lost World Zone
- Jurassic Park Rapids Adventure (River raft ride) | The Lost World Zone
- Amber Rock Climb (Rock Climb & skill challenge) | The Lost World Zone
Best Shows for Kids
- Trick or treat with Sesame Street at Pantages Theatre
- Shrek 4D Adventure at Far Far Away Zone
- Donkey Live Interactive show at Far Far Away Zone
Best Shows for Adults
- Lake Hollywood Spectacular Firework Show in Hollywood Zone
- Lights, Camera, Action Show in New York Zone
- Waterworld Stunt Show in the Lost World Zone
Best Live Performances
- The Dance for the Magic Beans featuring Puss in Boots & Kitty Softpaws
- The Rockfellas B-Boyin show
- Hollywood Dream Parade in Hollywood Zone with the favourite film stars (available only on selected Saturdays and Sundays)
Best Meet-and-Greet Sessions
- Hollywood Walk of fame: Meet and greet the stars of Hollywood and click a lot of pictures
- Meet the cute Minions from Despicable Me
- Meet the funny characters of Sesame Street
- Meet Shrek, Princess Fiona and Puss In Boots in Far Far Away Zone
- Strike a pose with the talented Autobots
Where to eat?
The restaurants and food carts inside the Universal Studios serve both vegetarian and non-vegetarian food. Most of the restaurants serving non-vegetarian food use Halal meat.
- Breakfast with Sesame Street characters: Enjoy a hearty meal with your family in the company of Cookie Monster, Abby Cadabby, Elmo, and Oscar the Grouch
- Gorge into a 20-inch pizza at Loui’s Pizza in New York with your family
- Enjoy the 8 inches roasted turkey leg at Marilyn’s
- Enjoy a hearty meal at the Transformers themed Starbots Café
Where to Shop?
- Minion themed merchandises at the Minion Mart at the Hollywood Zone
- Universal Studios Store– a place to find different merchandises from every other zone
- Big Bird Emporium in New York Zone for shopping toys and other goodies for kids
- Transformers Supply Vault in Sci-Fi city for miniature robots and gadgets for your nerdy kids
Best Photo Spots at Universal Studios Singapore
- At the Sting Alley (next to KT’s Grill). It is inspired by the 1973 movie The Sting
- In front of Battlestar Galactica across the lake at Madagascar.
- In front of the Far Far Away Castle in the Far Far Away zone
- At the Hollywood Walk of Fame
Places to visit near Universal Studios
- Southern Ridges Park
- Underwater World Oceanarium
- Sentosa Island
- Madame Tussauds Singapore
If you are already feeling overwhelmed by the number of rides, activities and shows at Universal Studios Singapore, let me tell you that these are only selected few. You can actually see and try the complete list of rides, shows, shops, restaurants, and activities when you reach Singapore in person. Plan your Singapore trip today and take yourself and your family to the magical land of Universal Studios. At Pickyourtrail, we help you customize trips so that you can enjoy your journey just the way you want to. Reach out to us for more details and we’ll be happy to assist you!