The most rewarding travel app is here. Ready to craft your trip.
Written by Akshaya Devi on May 28, 2020 Share on

How to plan a trip from New Zealand to Australia

Many a time when you are backpacking in New Zealand or nearing the end of your holiday will you be tempted to cross off Australia from your bucket list as well. So close by distance yet so far by visa and other realities, it may seem. But if you liked backpacking in New Zealand, you should definitely consider visiting Australia against the odds. Here’s a quick guide on where to start when planning a backpacking trip from New Zealand to Australia—including information on what direct flights operate from New Zealand to Australia and how to knock off the visa part.

Visas For Australia

Australia Visitor Visa

For people who are just visiting for a short period and those with intentions of travel can avail any of the three types of Australia visitor visas.

1. An Electronic Travel Authority Visa lets travellers visit Australia for tourism or business purposes if they hold a passport from any of these countries: Brunei – Darussalam, Canada, Hong Kong (SAR PRC), Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, and the United States. The ETA Visa for Australia allows visitors as many times as they want for a year and can stay up to 3 months during each visit. The ETA visa costs 20 AUD/person.

2. An eVisitor visa allows travellers to stay up to 3 months for each visit within a year. You need to apply for the eVisitor visa at least two weeks before the travel date and passport holders from these countries are eligible for this visa—Andorra, Finland, Austria, Lithuania, Belgium, The Netherlands, Liechtenstein, Slovenia, Bulgaria, France, Cyprus, Czech Republic, United Kingdom, Denmark, Latvia, Estonia, Republic of San Marino, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Croatia, Vatican City, Malta, Monaco, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovak Republic, Spain, Switzerland and Sweden.

3. The Visitor Visa lets travellers stay in Australia for up to 12 months as a tourist, and is best suitable for those who are visiting their families and friends in Australia. The visa costs between 300 to 1000 AUD depending on the preferred period of stay.

Australia Working Holiday Visa

This visa is suitable if you fancy a holiday in Australia whilst working in Australia. It’s best suitable for backpackers, it lets you stay at a job for 6 months and no longer. You need to switch job/employer if you want to stay longer. Visitors who are 18 to 30 years old holding a valid passport from any of these countries are eligible for a 12-month valid working holiday visa—Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Australia’s working holiday visa costs 485 AUD. That being said, here is the list of direct flights that operate between New Zealand and Australia.

Direct Flights From New Zealand To Australia

Multiple airlines such as Jetstar, Air New Zealand, Virgin Australia and Qantas operate flights from New Zealand to Australia daily and it won’t be difficult to plan an impromptu trip. All the 5 of New Zealand’s international airports fly in/out direct flights to Australia—namely Christchurch (CHC), Auckland (AKL), Dunedin (DUD), Queenstown (ZQN), and Wellington (WLG). The New Zealand airports connect to these Australian destinations:

  • Christchurch:
    Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, and Gold Coast
  • Auckland:
    Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Adelaide
  • Dunedin:
  • Queenstown:
    Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Gold Coast
  • Wellington:
    Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Gold Coast and Canberra

Not every day will you find yourself at such close quarters with Australia. But if you, you ought to visit Australia right away. Read more about what to see, what to do and what to eat in Australia.