Pondicherry is a place that has so many things rolled into one small haven. Rich in heritage and culture you will find the city to be the perfect weekend getaway with its beautiful sun-kissed beaches. Have a long weekend in hand? Not sure where to go for a relaxing time with family? Don’t look any further. We will tell you why Pondicherry is a great option for people staying in Bangalore
- Distance between Bangalore and Pondicherry
- The Route
- Best Time to Travel from Bangalore to Pondicherry
- Travel From Bangalore to Pondicherry by Bus
- Visit Pondicherry by Train
- Travel to Pondicherry via Air
- Best Places to Visit in Pondicherry
- Top Resorts in Pondicherry
- Amazing Restaurants in Pondicherry
- Travel Tips for vacations from Bangalore to Pondicherry
1. Distance between Bangalore and Pondicherry
The distance is around 300-320 Kms. Bangalore is well connected to Pondicherry by rail, road and airways. The most favoured is to reach Pondicherry by NH 77
2. The Road Route for your Pondicherry Vacation from Bangalore
A road trip from Bangalore to Pondicherry will be unforgettable owing to the beautiful sights and sceneries on the way. You can choose to take either NH 77 or NH 75. Both the routes take somewhere between 6 hours 30 minutes to 7 hours. Though a bit longer, we recommend you take NH 75 as the road conditions are very good. You will take the following route – Bangalore– Hosur– Krishnagiri– Vellore– Arcot– Cheyyar– Vandavasi– Tindivanam- Pondicherry.
3. Best Time to Travel from Bangalore to Pondicherry
Although a year-round destination, it is recommended to visit Pondicherry between the months of October and March. With a typically warm climate, visiting Pondicherry across different months have its own perks.
October to February – This is the coolest period of the whole year. Ideal for beach binging, adventure sport and outdoor activities.
March to June – Ok with the hot weather, but looking for less crowded months? This is the best time for you. Owing to high temperatures ( as high as 41-degree Celsius), Pondicherry sees a dip in the inflow of tourists during these months.
July to September – Love the rain? The monsoon season gives you the opportunity to let your hair down and enjoy the cool breeze of the sea in the evenings
4. Travel From Bangalore to Pondicherry by Bus
With many pocket-friendly travel options, bus journeys from Bangalore to Pondicherry are much sought-after. The bus journey can take approximately 8-10 hours depending on the type of bus and the number of stops it takes. The average fare per person is around INR 700. We recommend taking the AC sleeper bus which is very comfortable for overnight journeys and also doesn’t dig a hole in the pockets.
5. Visit Pondicherry by Train
For those who aren’t big fans of road travel, train journeys are a great option. You can choose either of the two long-distance trains- The 11005 Puducherry Express and The 16573 Puducherry Express. You can choose either of these options depending on the day you want to travel. This will be an average 10 hours journey and the cost per ticket varies from INR 300- INR 750 depending on the class of ticket.
6. Travel to Pondicherry via Air
Unfortunately, the airport in Pondicherry is currently not functional for commercial aircraft. You can still choose to fly into Chennai and drive down to Pondicherry which is around 3 hours away.
7. Best Places to Visit in Pondicherry 2023
Pondicherry has amazing things to keep you occupied throughout the day. We have listed down some of our crowd favourites
1. Promenade Beach – Perfect for a brisk morning walk or a laid back evening. You will also find some monuments like the war memorial, the statue of Joan-of-Arc and the statue of Mahatma Gandhi.
2. Auroville – This universal township is located 10 KM north of Pondicherry. Seeing the place just won’t do justice, you need to experience it. Don’t forget to visit the Matrimandir during your visit.
3. Scuba Dive in Pondicherry – There is one PADI certified company called the Temple Adventures to quench your thirst for Scuba diving adventures. Some of the popular diving spots in Pondicherry are the Temple Reef (an artificial reef), Coral Shark Reef, Aravind Wall, Ravines, The Hole and the PADI Dive Centre
4. Paradise Beach – A great place to chill with family and friends alike. The shoreline is filled with restaurant shacks, restrooms, showers, beach lounging chairs etc. You wouldn’t want to leave the place and its serene surroundings that offer some lovely rustic views, the greens of the coconut trees swaying in the breeze and the lilting sounds of the waves crashing against the coastline.
5. The Pondicherry Botanical Garden – This initially started as an experiment by the French to test crops for cultivation. This is now converted to a botanical garden and is filled with rare exotic flowers and plants. The entrance gate has beautiful French-style architecture. People come to the place to enjoy the calm and beauty of the gardens and this surely is a must-visit during your trip to Pondicherry.
We have also listed below other places and things you can do when you visit Pondicherry
- Don’t miss Sri Aurobindo Ashram
- Go Surfing
- Visit the French War Memorial
- The Raj Nivas – For a peep into the French Architecture
8. Top Resorts in Pondicherry
Pondicherry is known for its luxurious and chic beach resorts. While some are slightly expensive, you will find numerous resorts and stay options that are definitely of good value for money.
- Ocean Spray
- Le Pondy
- The Windflower Resort & Spa
- The Promenade
- St. James Court Beach Resort
9. Amazing Restaurants in Pondicherry
Looking for options to satisfy your gastronomic cravings? Pondicherry has some of the best restaurants known for its vibrant atmosphere, hospitality and authenticity.
- Café des Arts
- Le Dupleix
- La Maison Rose
- Lighthouse Rooftop Grill
- New Farm Fresh
10. Travel Tips for vacations from Bangalore to Pondicherry
- Travel Light
- Carry Summer wear
- Carry a couple of swimwear
- A beach hat or a visor will come in handy
- Sunscreen lotions, Umbrella, Mosquito repellent
- Your driving license in case you are hiring a bike in Pondicherry.
- If you have plans for fine dining, look up the dress code prior and pack accordingly
Plan your trip with Pickyourtrail
There! We hope this information gives you insight into planning a Pondicherry vacation. Don’t have the luxury of time to research and book things? Don’t worry. We at Pickyourtrail specialise in curated itineraries and we will ensure you give you an amazing experience at the best value for money. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s get started on your Pondicherry vacation itinerary.