We haven’t yet decoded how work from home seems to tire us out more than the regular work hours at the office. Hence, we feel your last meal of the day (if we overlook the midnight snack) should be a hassle-free affair! These easy dinner recipes can be whipped up in less than 30 mins and help you save time to rewatch F.R.I.E.N.D.S for the 4132453th time!
1. Quick Quesadilla
Leftover chapatis? Check out a rad way to turn it into a Mexican delicacy!
- 2 chapatis / roti
- 3 tbsp each of finely chopped onion, tomato, capsicum
- 3-4 sliced olives
- 1 cheese slice
- Butter for frying
- A pinch of salt & red chilli or oregano
1. Mix onions, tomatoes, capsicum and olives. Add the salt and red chilli as required.
2. Heat a pan with butter. Place one chapati on the pan and add the filling with cheese. Place the second roti on top and press slightly.
3. Add more butter and flip the chapati to cook from the other side until it’s crisp. Wait for the cheese to ooze out and voila!
2. Pasta in Mushroom Sauce
Creamy and dreamy – make way for some pasta la vista, baby!
- 50 gm shiitake mushroom (soaked in warm water for 15 minutes)
- 100 gm fresh sliced mushroom
- 1 tbsp each of chopped onion & parsley or thyme
- 1 garlic clove
- 30 ml white wine
- 100 gram whole wheat pasta
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
1. Put the pasta in boiling salty water for the time specified on the packet. Sauté onion and garlic with olive oil in another saucepan. Add mushroom and wine.
2. When the wine evaporates, add some of the water in which the mushroom was soaked. Add salt, herbs and cook for 5-6 minutes.
3. Once the pasta is cooked, add it to the sauce with a bit of pasta water. Time to dig in!
3. Potato Quinoa Bowl
In search of a healthy alternative to your takeaway meals? Here’s a crunchy twist to the humble potato and quinoa!
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato cubes
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tbsp raisins /cranberries
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add the bay leaf with onion and fry till onions are translucent.
2. Add pepper, cayenne, sweet potato and coconut. Fry till a delicious aroma wafts across. Then, add raisins, cashew nuts and fry for 5 more minutes after cashews turn brown.
3. Add the cooked quinoa and mix well. Leave it on a medium flame for 3 minutes and enjoy!
4. Kashmiri Paneer
Who can resist succulent paneer chunks floating in a velvety, thick gravy? Not to mention the warm Kashmiri flavours!
- 1/2 Tbsp oil
- 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 green cardamom
- 1 Tbsp each of dry ginger powder and saunf powder
- 1 glass milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 th glass water
- 300 gm paneer cubes, deep-fried
- Coriander leaves for garnish
1. In a wok add oil, bay leaf, cloves, green cardamom, cinnamon stick and cumin seeds till it sputters.
2. Add the saunf and ginger powder. Sauté vigorously. Immediately add the milk and water. Let it come to a boil, then add salt and pepper.
3. Add the deep fried paneer and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Note: Wait for 20-30 minutes before serving so that the paneer soaks up the milk for an enhanced taste.
5. Sausage & Potato Casserole
Look no further if you wish for a soothing dish to dunk all your work-worries in – presenting comfort casserole!
- 1 yellow & green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 Sausages
- 1 potato, boiled
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 packet baked beans
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Green chilli
1. Heat some oil in a pan. Add all the vegetables with sausages and stir well.
2. Slice the potato and mix it in. Add salt and pepper as required. Sauté well.
3. Add baked beans, green chilli and parsley to it. Let it heat for a while and you can savour a jolly good meal!
These easy recipes are a quick fix to satiate your Indian & continental palates (win-win!). If you enjoyed cooking up a storm in the kitchen with these quick fixes, stay tuned to @Pickyourtrail for more fun activities for you to try out!