Update as of July 1st 2020: Following the recent instalment of unlock 2.0 in India, domestic flights will continue to operate as before and travellers will need an ePass (state-wise links below) for inter-district and inter-state travel outside the containment zones. However, ePass obtained before June 30 stays valid until July 5 and you need not apply for a fresh ePass if you’re travelling before that. Also, individual states and union territories have the authority to alter the ePass requisites depending on their assessment of the situation. Read state-wise ePass rules carefully before travelling.
Apply for an ePass online:
Do you need an ePass for air travel? If yes, how and where to apply for an ePass online? Here are the top questions about ePass and air travel, answered.
Is ePass required for air travel?
Following the lockdown 2.0 de-escalation that allows domestic flights to resume services, the government has made it mandatory for travellers to obtain an ePass for interstate travel. Luckily for us, the Travel Ministry has launched a website where we can apply for an ePass online for 17 states across the country. This excludes some major states and the Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh Puri hints that the scale at which each state restarts domestic flights depends on their own travel guidelines.
He says more flights will be recommenced in a calibrated manner soon and that the airline operations are smooth till now.
Read more about the latest air travel guidelines.
How to apply for an ePass online?
1. Visit the official website from where you will be redirected to your state’s website.
2. Select your departure state from the list of options.
3. Register and verify with your mobile number.
4. Fill the form with passenger details and recheck before submitting.
5. You need to upload scanned copies of the requisite documents. Keep them ready before applying.
6. After submitting, note the unique application reference number and save it so you can track your application status in future.
7. Once processed, you will receive an SMS with the link to download your ePass. It contains details such as your name, address, validity and a QR code.
8. Along with the copy on your phone, it’s better to keep a printed copy of the ePass before travelling.