One thing you can not miss out on your Turkey vacation is shopping in Grand Bazaar. Replete with a multitude of covered streets and different kiosks, this bustling market offers everything you need. The experiences one enjoys when shopping in Grand Bazaar is what makes Istanbul a vacation destination in Turkey.
Grand Bazaar is one of the world’s biggest and oldest covered shopping areas. With more than 60 streets and 4000 shops, it has numerous charming shops to explore for local as well as luxury shopping – Turkish delights and spices, kilim rugs, silver and gold jewellery. You will be spoilt for choices, and you can choose to visit what suits your tastes and budgets. The walking tour itself is a visually pleasing and aromatically charged experience with vivid colours and herbal scents.
In addition to shopping, there are restaurants, tea shops, hammams and a mosque within this market. Today, Grand Bazaar has a police station, a health dispensary, post offices, major banks and a tourist information centre. No wonder it is one of the must-do activities on most tourist itineraries.
Here is a complete guide to shopping in Grand Bazaar, which will make your Istanbul shopping experience all the more pleasant!
How to Reach?
Grand Bazaar is located in the district of Faith – Beyazit Mh., Kalpakcilar Cd no. 22, 34126. It stretches along all major streets of Istanbul, so you can easily reach via a tram or catch a taxi or Uber.
Timings and Entry Fee
All shops in Grand Bazaar are open on all days from 9 am to 7 pm except Sundays, and there is no entry fee to visit the market.
Things to buy
When it comes to shopping in Grand Bazaar, be assured that a variety of products at different ranges of budget awaits you!
- Jewellery: Glittering gems, shimmering silver and gold is a sparkling sight in the market. Topkapi Ozvar is a notable shop that offers a wide variety of colourful jewels with rare vintage designs.
- Fine arts and antiques: The market is flooded with several antique shops, yet it is crucial to understand the value of an item.
- Salabi Antiques, Sait Asil, Eski Fine Arts and Antiques, Epoque are a few trustworthy shops to shop mirrors, snuff boxes, tableware, globes, paintings and other accessories.
- Carpets & Kilims: If you want to beautify your home with artistic Turkey tapestry, head to Sisko Osman, Ethinicon, Dhoku, Recep Karaduman for a beautiful, diverse collection of carpet designs.
- Textiles : To buy traditional and classic products, tick off Abdulla, Sivasli Istanbul Yazmacisi, Ottaomano from your bucket list. You can find shawls, scarves, silk and cashmere and other ethnic goodies here.
- Oruculer Gate is the place you should head to purchase high-quality products.
Grand Bazaar also has a plethora of other shops that offer customised products, Turkish delights, spices and scents, ceramics and splendid shopping streets.
If you wish to skim through these colourful markets, set on a vacation to Turkey today! So pack light and bring back home large chunks of Turkey with you!