Canada is a serene and peaceful country which is why people always love to travel at least once to this amazing place! Though it is not a typical tourist country like Indonesia or the Maldives, international travel from India to Canada was temporarily paused due to the serious effects of coronavirus. After a month of strict ban, Canada is now open for Indian tourists to travel. But there are a few general instructions and COVID guidelines to be followed throughout the travel. Know every detail and travel in a safe manner.
Indian tourists can travel directly to Canada from 27t September 2021 after a long travel ban. So, travellers who want to visit Canada can board direct flights from India without any transit or layover.
You can either get a tourist visa as per the general norms and procedures or get an e-Visa online and attend visa interviews online. Unfortunately, there are no options for availing visas on arrival in Canada.
Travel guidelines and pre-requisites
- Travellers must produce a Covid negative certificate at the departing airport.
- The test should be taken only within 18 hours prior to the travel date and not more than that.
- All passengers travelling to Canada who are fully vaccinated must upload the details and a self-declaration in the ArriveCAN portal or mobile app.
- All passengers should take up another PCR test at the departure airport and wait till the results are out.
- Once the passenger is Covid negative, the travel can be continued.
What are the vaccines accepted by the Canadian Government?
- Pfizer-BioNTech Comirnaty (tozinameran, BNT162b2)
- AstraZeneca Vaxzevria/COVISHIELD (ChAdOx1-S, AZD1222)
- Moderna Spikevax (mRNA-1273)
- Janssen/Johnson & Johnson
What if you are travelling indirectly to Canada from India?
You can absolutely fly directly from India to Canada or even through a connecting flight. The only thing to be followed is, you will need to take up another Covid molecular test in the third country. For example, you are travelling from India to Canada via Dubai. You will need to take up another Covid molecular test in Dubai and produce the negative test result before continuing the travel to Canada.
What airlines are flying from India to Canada?
- Air Canada
- Air Asia India
- Spice Jet
- Fly Dubai
- Air Arabia
- Oman Air
- Cathay Pacific
- American Airlines
- Japan Airlines
- Egypt Air
Who can travel to Canada from India and what are the pre-requisites to be produced?
- All passengers must be fully vaccinated and produce the certificates of the vaccines that are accepted by the Canadian government.
- All travellers must produce a COVID negative test report that is taken in the Genestrings Laboratory which is located at the Indira Gandhi International Airport.
- The test should be taken only 18 hours prior to the travel date.
- Passengers who have previously tested positive for Covid should produce the test result too. The test should be taken at least 14 to 180 days prior to the departure.
- If you are asymptomatic, you will be quarantined until your recovery.
- All passengers should upload the basic information in the ArriveCAN portal or the website.
What happens if you don’t meet the conditions?
- If you do not produce the needed medical and COVID test documents, you will not be allowed to continue the travel further to Canada from India.
- You will be suspected and quarantined at the Canadian orders until the needed tests are taken.
- If you are only partially vaccinated or not vaccinated at all, you can no more continue the travel to Canada because only fully vaccinated people (who are eligible for vaccinations) can travel to Canada from India.
It is a standing rule that all people travelling to Canada must be fully vaccinated. The last dose of the vaccine must be taken at least 14 days prior to the departure date. Only certain vaccines that are approved by the Canadian government will be accepted at the points of departure.
If you are fully vaccinated, you need not quarantine on arrival in Canada. But, in case if some of the pre-requisites produced by you do not match, you will be isolated and asked to quarantine for a few days until further results. You will be asked to quarantine at the borders if the needed Covid tests are unsatisfactory.
Important things to be aware of for Indian tourists
- Not all countries you travel through for transit will have COVID testing facilities at the airports. So be aware of the third country you travel to for a connecting flight.
- If you are tested positive during the travel, you will immediately be isolated and quarantined until your recovery or e sent back to your point of departure.
Travel points from India to Canada
- Delhi to Canada- 2 stops in Canada
- Mumbai to Canada- 1 stop flight to 4 cities in Canada
- Hyderabad to Canada- 1 stop flight to 3 cities in Canada
Air Canada now flies directly from Delhi to Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton and Montreal.
General safety instructions during the travel
- Follow the safety protocols very strictly
- Wear masks all the time throughout the travel time
- Avoid crowded areas and unhygienic food
- Carry hand sanitisers always and sanitise yourself every now and then
There are the major travel guidelines for Indians travelling to Canada after the travel ban. Indian tourists can now travel to Canada either directly or through connecting flights or transits in third countries. All you have to do is be aware of all the safety precautions and produce the needed documents regarding COVID. Have a safe and peaceful travel to Canada and do not forget to enjoy your stay!