Ziro music festival is a musical pageant held in the North-Eastern state, Arunachal Pradesh. It is an open platform for all artists across India to showcase their talents in music and bands. The festival is a mash-up of different styles and musical traditions routing from various cultures in India. Spanning for a period of four days, Ziro festival was an instant hit amongst the youth when it was started it 2012. Moreover, the event still holds a special place in Gen Y and continues to allure them year on year. In this article, we will comprehensively explore Ziro music extravaganza with a special focus on artists and event chronology. In addition, we will also explore the alternatives to reach the Ziro valley.
Ziro Music Festival – Location and History
Ziro music festival happens in Ziro valley. The Apatani tribe inhabits the Ziro Valley. The tribe is long known for their hospitality and affinity towards music. Ziro is a small town in Subansiri district of Arunachal Pradesh. The town is surrounded by mountains and offers breathtaking views of landscapes, rivers and nearby ricefields. Ziro has been recently listed as a UNESCO world heritage site.
Bobby Hano and Menwhopause guitarist Anup Kutty started the event in 2012 to express their desire and passion for music. Since then, the festival has become a hub for the youth and music enthusiast. The event has hosted famous musicians around the globe including the likes of Shaa’ir n Func, Indus Creed, Lee Ranaldo, Menwhopause, Guru Rewben Mashangva, Steve Shelley and Lou Majaw. Apart from enjoying these artists, people get to stay close to nature for four days in local tents in a serene ambience.
Ziro Festival of Music – Entry Formalities
They are few official obligations and clearance needed to be part of this Ziro music festival.
- PAP: Protected Area Permit – All foreign nationalities or people without an Indian Citizenship need to get this permit. People can get this permit from All Indian Missions abroad or from the Chief Immigration Officer, Chennai or Home Commissioner, Govt. of Arunachal Pradesh, Itanagar or the All Foreigners Regional Registration Officers (FRRO) at Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata.
- ILP: Inline Permit – For all Indians citizens except for natives of Arunachal Pradesh an ILP is required. ILP is an official travel document issued by certain state govt that allows visitors to enter protected areas for a specified period of time. This can be obtained online or from any Govt authorities of Arunachal Pradesh.
- Book Tickets in advance to avail offers and get the best prices
- You can contact ZFM management at firstname.lastname@example.org to resell the tickets.
- Beer and local wines are available with the premises. Carrying Alcohol is strictly prohibited
- Generally, festival dates coincide with the beginning of the monsoon hence it is advised to carry gumboots and raincoats.
- Nearest ATM is at least half an away, it is advisable to carry adequate liquid cash. On average, people spend roughly around 1000 INR per day apart from accommodation and food.
- You can find travel buddies on online forums if you are travelling alone.
- Several food stalls serving local food and other cuisines are available in the festive region.
- ILP and PAP are must to enter the state.
- Don’t forget to try the famous Aping beer of this region.
- Accommodation options are limited and price tends to spike up as the festival nears, hence advisable to book 2 months prior.
- Stay for a week at least, since Arunachal Pradesh is a land of natural wonders, you can indulge in sightseeing.
How to Reach Ziro Valley
The nearest airports to Ziro valley are Likabali and Tezpur, however since the flights are not regular, it is advisable to fly to Guwahati airport and take a taxi or public bus.
The nearest and accessible train is Naharlagun and is roughly three hours away from Ziro. You can board an overnight bus or train from Guwahati to Naharlagun.
It would ideally take seven hours if road conditions are good. Public transport is also available. From Itanagar, buses are more frequent and cost merely 100 – 200 INR.
Things in and around Ziro to Combine with Ziro Music Film Festival for a 7-day vacation
Talley Valley Wildlife Sanctuary
Talley Valley Sanctuary is one of the main attractions in Ziro. The Sanctuary is spread across 337 acres of land and a wide range of flora and fauna. The Sanctuary is 30 kilometres away from Ziro. Arunachal Pradesh accounts for 40% of Indians flora and fauna population and Talley Valley has a fair share of it. You can witness endangered species like clouded Leopard in this Sanctuary.
- Opening Timings: 6.00 a.m to 5.00 p.m
- Entrance fees: there is no entrance fee. Entry is free for all.
Suggested Read: Visit Arunachal Pradesh To Witness Wildlife At Its Best
Meghna Cave Temple
This temple is one of the most popular tourist attractions from Ziro. It is at an elevation of 300 feet. Meghna Cave Temple is inside a cave and the idol is an incarnation of Lord Shiva. It would take 10 minutes of steep trek to reach the pinnacle and the cave temple. It offers magical views of the surrounding alps, dense forests and flowing river. It makes a perfect setting for an Instagram story.
It is a 5000-year-old temple and was rediscovered in the early 1960s. It has been attracting adventure enthusiasts and pilgrimage crowd all over the country. It will take you roughly 45 minutes to the temple from Zero valley. Local transportation is available from Zero valley to the foot of the hills.
Kile Pakho is a clifftop that offers contrasting landscapes on each side of the cliff. One side you can find beautiful lush green Ziro landscape and on the other side, you will witness snow-clad Himalayan mountains. The ridge is 7 kilometres away from old Ziro. They only way to get to the top is through a small trek. If you love scenic and natural wonders, do visit Kile Pakho for a visual treat.
Ziro valley is a rare combination where you will find entertainment as well as a soothing ambience. They are few destinations across the globe with such combination. If you find the above article helpful and planning to go to the Ziro music festival, reach out to us on pickyourtrail.com and get expert guidance on the best northeast packages. You can also drop a Whatsapp enquire here.