Drenched in nature’s glorious charm and allure, Seychelles is the ultimate beach destination. Located East of Africa in the Indian Ocean, this 115 island archipelago is a beach lover’s paradise. Blessed with pristine azure waters, thick jungles and rich marine life, Bask in the sun, swim in the warm blue waters or hike the mountains, the options are endless. Seychelles is arguably one of the best honeymoon destinations in the world. There are tonnes of natural attractions to explore and activities to do, which is sure to make you fall in love with this island heaven. Make sure you have a week or so because without that you won’t be able to fully enjoy the Islands of Seychelles. Here is your travel guide to Seychelles.
- Mahe, Praslin and La Digue are the main 3 islands which are busy and has the most activities
- Country’s capital Victoria is located in Mahe, which is the largest and most popular island. Mahe has most of the population in the country.
- Praslin is larger than Mahe in size but is only the second populous island.
- The international airport is located in Victoria, thus your trip starts and ends in Mahe.
Getting around the Islands
Air – There are both scheduled and charter flight service between islands. Scheduled flight fly between Mahe and Praslin alone and charter flights are operated by hotels and resorts which are more expensive.
Boat – There is regular boat service between the main islands, for other islands the only option is to charter boats or travel as part of tours.
Bus – Mahe and Praslin have good bus service on the island, which is cheaper and easier to go around.
Best time to Visit
- April, May & October, November – Temperature is high, the best time for diving and other activities, clear waters with calmer tides and winds in the sea.
Guide on Things to do in Seychelles
1. Chilling on the beaches
Seychelles have the best beaches. White sands, blue warm waters are perfect and picturesque. This is also a perfect spot for swimming and all kinds of water activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, and surfing etc. The beaches are quiet, peaceful and relax your mind and body. The extremely diverse and rich sea life gives you company when you take a dip in the water. Beaches are well maintained, protected and there are many beaches that are totally safe for family and kids as well. Seychelles’ beaches fully capture the very essence of life on the islands.
These are the best beaches in Seychelles
- Petite Anse
- Anse Major
- Grand Anse
- Anse Source d’Argent
- Beau Vallon
- Anse Intendance
- Anse Georgette
- West Beach
2. Hike in the Mountains
One of the best things to do in Seychelles is to explore the dense forest-covered mountains. Seychelles is heaven for nature lovers as it is unique for its ecological and biological diversity. The peaks look over the ocean and offer a breathtaking view of the ocean. From the warmth of the ocean to the cloud covered mountain peak there are different kinds of trekking trails. Also, these forests are home to some of the rarest animal and plant species in the world. Some which are only visible in Seychelles. The forests make an excellent location for tourists, researchers, and photographers all alike.
- Morne Blanc – Follow the trekking trails of the Morne Seychellois National Park and explore this incredible peak. This is the highest peak in Seychelles, located in the capital city of Victoria on Mahe island. Also this home to many endemic plants and animals.
- Nid D’Aigle – The name translates to “Eagle’s Nest”, and it is true. This is the highest peak on the island of La Digue and at 333 meters above sea level. There is a 1-hour trek to the peak and it is worth it for the view at the top.
- Dans Gallas – Located north of Mahe island, this trek offers exquisite views of Beau Vallon. This trekking path is a bit steep and rocky, make sure to have good quality trekking shoes.
- Grand Barbe – Grand Barbe is one of the toughest treks with 450 meters ascend. Situated in Silhouette island, this trek almost covers the whole island and is quite dangerous as well.
3. Ocean Adventures
The waters of Seychelles offers various adventure activities. The crystal clear and shallow water is perfect for diving. Also, the islands have a rich and thriving sea life as well. Snorkelling and scuba diving are also recommended and there are many operators who conduct group and individual tours. Fishing trips, kayaking also are very popular are exciting things to do in Seychelles. Also, day trips to the St Anne Marine Park which is the best place to experience the variety of sea life in all of Seychelles. Due to the weather (monsoon) and the nature of the seas, Seychelles is not a surfing hotspot, but Silhouette island is a good spot for about 4-6 months a year. Other locations include Grand Anse and Intendance beaches.
4. Giant Turtles of Aldabra Atoll
This island plus Marine National Park is like one big zoo. Hop in a boat from Praslin to Carieuse Island, the home of the Seychellois Giant tortoise. These tortoises are only found here and the Galapagos, and on an average weighs more than 250 kgs. The atoll has rare species of birds and other animals, Manta rays and tiger sharks are often spotted in the shallow waters hunting for food. Aldabra Atoll is a UNESCO World Heritage site, should not be missed at any cost when visiting Seychelles.
5. National Parks and Nature Reserves
Seychelles flora and fauna is unique and distinctive. They have a well balanced yet delicate ecosystem and this is protected by turning them into national parks and reserves. This marks the importance of preserving and maintaining their biodiversity. Both on land and in water the island’s wildlife is well protected. It is without a doubt essential for any visitor to experience and see the endemic animals and plants, as some including the Seychelles Warber bird, black parrot and Coco de Mer palm seed. All of these are rare and found only in Seychelles, not in any other place on the planet.
Make sure to visit these National Parks and Reserves in Seychelles
- Valle de Mai National Park, Praslin
- St. Anne National Marine Park
- Cousins Island Nature Reserve
- Veuve Natural Reserve
- Morne Seychellois National Park
Wondering what else is there to do??
Biking and Cycling
On La Digue, bicycles are the best way to explore the island. Bicycles are easily available for rent. The hilly terrain of Mahe does not really suit cycles, and most tourists opt for a car. And in Praslin, bikes are the favoured method of transportation.
Exploring the local cuisine
It should not be a surprise that fish is the most popular food item on an island, Seychelles is heaven for seafood lovers. Endless varieties of fish of different size and shapes are available and they know how to cook too. Sharks, tuna, grouper are some of the common ones, they are cooked in different ways in a grilled, steamed or smoked method. Seychelles is home to a lot of tropical and exotic fruits as well.
Luxury at its finest
Seychelles has some of the most luxurious resorts in the world. Top hotel brands have exquisite properties with only one purpose – a luxurious island experience. All the best resorts have excellent rooms and are located on a beach. They also operate tours and other activities to ensure their customers have the complete experience.
Need we say more? Pick the dates and pack your bags and yes take your sunscreen and trekking shoes without fail. Seychelles has the best beaches, excellent hiking options, large tortoises and whatnots. Plan your next trip to Seychelles with Pickyourtrail. Visit the Pickyourtrail website and customize your vacation. Download the Pickyourtail app and get your travel queries answered on the go. Talk to our travel experts through Whatsapp too.